Vegetarian Cooking For a Healthier Better Looking You
By: Rebecca Subbiah RD, LDN
Sexy Veggies Anyone?
Following a vegetarian diet is fun, varied and far from boring and what’s more if it is done correctly it is nutritionally balanced. It is important to eat good sources of protein such as lentils, beans and pulses, limit fried food and use healthy oils for cooking such as olive oil.
A vegetarian diet should be indeed rich in fruits and vegetables of all the colors of the rainbow in order to get the range of vitamin’s and minerals. It is a good idea to look up recipes from around the globe for inspiration particularly in countries that are predominantly vegetarian such as India. You will find a wealth of recipe ideas with Dals using lentils and many dishes for beans and wonderful spicy ways to cook vegetables.
In Middle Eastern cuisine you will find hummus and falafel. Of course stir-fries are wonderful with vegetables and egg for protein, also vegetable fried rice. Pasta dishes also lend well to vegetarian options. So have fun be adventurous and enjoy a rich and balanced diet from around the globe.
This is a tasty dish good served with either rice or chapatti. Dal or lentils are a great source of protein and fiber, fantastic for vegetarians.
- 1 medium eggplant or a few little Indian eggplants (brinjal in India and Aubergine in Europe!)
- 3 cloves garlic,
- little salt
- toor dal 1 cup
- little turmeric,
- sambar powder (can be found in Indian grocery store- famous in South India)
- curry leaves
- mustard seeds
- green chili
- 1/2 tomato.
- Add dal, eggplant, tomato, little onion, little tumeric 1 clove garlic to pressure cooker and cook till you hear one whistle.
- Fry mustard seeds (let pop) onion, curry leaves, garlic, green chili in canola oil, then add some sambar powder- more if you want it to be spicy, let it brown then add to dal.
- Mix fried onions and spices with dal and boil 5 – 10 min add coriander/cilantro to garnish.
Category: Lifestyle | Comments: 1 Comment »
One Response to “Sexy Veggies Anyone?”
Add a Comment
Copyright © 2012 MIMIC Group, LLC
Web Development By: www.andrewnl.com